The Skincare Order or Routine that I Follow Religiously
Skin Type: Dry, Acne-Prone, and Super-Sensitive
No matter how expensive your skincare products are, no matter how many steps of the skincare routine you follow, if you do not know the correct skincare order, the products might not penetrate the layers well.
And, if the products do not react well with your skin cells, then what’s the point of having a skincare routine. A proper skincare order ensures not just proper layering of products but also enhances the efficacy of the products.
For one year, I have been following a particular skincare order. Often, my reader friends ask me about my skincare order. So, here is what I do to take care of my skin.
My Morning Skincare Routine
The starting of any day denotes that we need to prepare our skin for a day-long battle. It’s a constant battle against the environment and all the impurities.
So, we definitely need sunscreen; but, it’s definitely not the only thing we need. Let’s check out the skincare order in a healthy morning skincare routine.
Step 1: Take Away Your Fatigueness with an Oil-Based Or a Water-Based Cleanser
- If you have normal to dry skin, go for water-based cleansers. Else, go for oil-based cleansers. There is no such thumb rule though. It’s all about the right ingredients of cosmetics after all.
- The oil-based ones help to dissolve the excess oils that your skin produces.
- Take a sufficient amount of cleanser on your palm and start massaging on the wet face just the way the brand has directed.
- Both types of cleansers require water to wash off all the dirt and impurities. At present, I am loving every bit of Just Herbs Silksplash.
Step – 2: A Splash of Toner is What You Need to Start Your Day
Toners help to hydrate skin cells and also helps to take away all the dead skin cells. There was a time when alcohol-based toners were in vogue.
But, with new researches, people have realized that alcohol-free toners are the best for the utmost nourishment.
- Right after cleaning, take a cotton pad soaked in your favourite toner and swipe all over your face and neck.
- Sometimes, toners come in a spray bottle as well. So, all you need is to spritz a sufficient amount of toner all over your face and neck. At present, I am using Dot and Key 5% AHA Toner.
- For maximum efficacy, always choose an alcohol-free toner.
Step – 3: A Serum Filled with Antioxidant
Well! I could have easily jumped to the moisturizer part right after toning. But, to prepare our skin for a long-day battle, it is important to give the skin nourishment.
- Always choose a serum that is rich in vitamins and antioxidants. Antioxidants help to fight the damage that is caused due to free radicals. On the other hand, vitamins help to improve the texture of our skin.
- For the past 3 years, Rosehip Oil is the only facial oil I have been using. This works as a serum and also as light facial oil.
- I just take 4 drops on my palm. And, apply with a gentle patting all over my face and neck.
- This step not only gives me healthy but also nourishes my skin for long-term
As I do not have any requirement at present, thus. I have skipped a particular step here.
Right after serum, you need to apply a cream to remove if you have any blemishes. This is called spot-treatment.
This spot-drying treatment takes care of the blemish from inside and outside.
It is not essential at all, you can easily skip it if you do not want any topical treatment for your scars.
Step – 4: Don’t Forget the Sensitive Eye Area
If anything goes wrong with our health, then we can easily predict that by looking at the eye area. It shows all signs of ageing, fine lines, darkness, and many other acute problems. And thus, a good eye cream is necessary.
- In the morning, I take a very small amount of the eye cream and lightly massage it around my eye area.
- Just make sure that your eye cream is free from fragrance and other harmful ingredients.
Right after this step, you can apply a light facial oil. Well! It’s definitely not necessary. But, a light facial oil helps the moisturizer to settle down more which is just the next step.
Step – 6: Generously Apply a Moisturizer
Moisturizer ensures soft skin. No matter whether your skin is oily or dry, you always need a moisturizer. Here is a short tip to choose the right moisturizer as per your skin type.
Dry skin needs cream or a balm. Oily skin needs something on the gel side. And, people with normal to combination skin needs a bit thick moisturizer.
Always choose a moisturizer that is rich in ingredients like Glycerine, Antioxidants, Ceramides, etc.
- At present, I am loving Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel a lot.
- Just take a pea-sized amount and lightly massage it all over your face and neck. Make sure, the strokes are upwards.
- Well! If you feel that your skin might feel sticky or heavy especially during day time, then you can skip it. Your serum is enough to hydrate your skin.
Step – 7: Sunscreen is a Must
A morning skincare order is entirely incomplete without this step. Save yourself from the signs of ageing and skin cancer by applying the right sunscreen generously.
- Make sure, the sunscreen you are applying has an SPF of over 30.
- Apply it generously at least 20 minutes before you are stepping outside.
And, that’s all for my basic morning skincare routine. You can stop it here just as I do. Else, you can layer up your favourite foundation or any other makeup right after it. Your skin is completely ready now to fight the pollutants and stress.
Always make sure that you read the ingredients prior to any purchase so that you do not end up buying a comedogenic product.
My Basic Night/Evening Skincare Order
The night is the time when our skin rejuvenates and heals itself. This is the time when we need to take care of our skin that is already affected by the harsh sunlight.
The basic steps remain just the same. I just add a few extra steps to ensure proper healing of my skin.
Step – 1: Remove All the Traces of Makeup
- Double cleansing is one of the most important aspects of a night skincare routine.
- At present, I am using Garnier Micellar Water to remove all the traces of makeup and also dirt.
- This step ensures proper makeup removal.
Step 2 which is cleaning with a water-based or an oil-based cleanser, remains the same. I use the same face wash to take off the last traces of dirt and grime.
Step – 3: Exfoliation is the Key
- This step ensures the removal of dead skin cells. Try to use an exfoliator rich in gentle exfoliators like Oats or Almonds.
- Well! twice a week, I replace this step with a clay mask too. A clay-based mask not only deep cleanses my skin but also helps the other products penetrate deep.
- At present, I am using a chemical exfoliator i.e. a Lactic Acid-based Toner from the house of Minimalist. For People like me with extra sensitive skin, exfoliation often causes intense irritation. Instead of skipping this part, try to use mild chemical exfoliators.
Step – 4: It’s Time for a Hydrating Mist
- Well! As I use a hydrating chemical exfoliant, I usually skip this part.
- In case you are using an exfoliator in the previous step, then go for a 100% floral mist as per your skin type. Rosewater is an excellent and affordable choice too to consider.
- PIXI Glow Tonic is an excellent choice too to use in this step.
Step 5 is where I apply a hydrating mask twice a week. Choose any hydrating mask as per your skin type or requirement. Here is a list of sheet masks to choose from.
Step 6 is the application of eye cream. I use the same eye cream in the same manner as daytime.
Step 7 is the application of facial oil where I apply my holy grail Rosehip Oil the same way I did in the morning.
My skincare routine ends just right here. But, there is another step that many people follow and that is the application of a night cream or a sleeping mask. It is an entirely optional step.
All you need is a small amount enough to cover your face and neck.
If you are trying out a new product, always do a patch test on your arm.
Take a sample size of the product and apply on your arm or on some other sensitive areas of your body. Keep it in tact for 24 hours.
If you do not feel any irritation, the product is safe to apply on your face.
A Few Final Words
Well! Don’t feel pressured due to all these steps. As I always say that skincare routine varies from one person to another. It entirely depends upon the requirement, the budget, and also on the skin type.
Ten-step routines aren’t to everyone’s taste, so don’t feel pressured to include every step in the above lists.
It is a general thumb rule to layer up products on the basis of the textures i.e. from thin to thick.
Last but not the least, do what your skin loves the most.
That’s all for today! Make sure to share this article with your friends and family if you find it helpful. Take care; celebrate life.
Write A Comment