Best Sunscreen in India
Whether it is winter or summer or rainy, the necessity of a good sunscreen is never-ending. There was a time when I was least bothered about sunscreens. I was carefree; my theory was that my skin looks good and healthy. So, I don’t need sunscreen. Over the years, I used to go out without a sunscreen and also without an umbrella. Basically, I nailed my own coffin. This misconception has only damaged my skin.
Well! No matter what brand it is, almost every brand has its own sunscreens or sunblocks. As the market is already flooded with a number of brands and their products, it is really difficult to make a choice. I believe that this article is going to help you in a number of ways. Before we pound upon the list of the best sunscreen in India, I would like to share a few key points here.
What is SPF or Sun Protection Factor?
Well! Whenever we talk about sunscreens, we determine the efficacy with the help of a parameter which is SPF or Sun Protection Factor. This factor or index determines how long your skin would be protected from the harsh rays of the Sun. If your skin is supposed to get exposed in the sun for 2 hours or even more, then you need a sunscreen with SPF 30+. Whereas, if you are partying outside in cloudy weather, moisturizing cream with SPF 15+ would be enough to protect your skin. A higher SPF does not increase the coverage exponentially. It ensures the percentage of UV rays blocked by your sunscreen. Basically, your choice of SPF should depend upon your daily activities or the climate you live in.
- SPF 15 –> Blocks 93% UVB, SPF 30 –> Blocks 97% UVB, SPF 50–> Blocks 98% UVB, SPF 100 –> Blocks 99% UVB (hypothetically)
What is Your Skin Type?
This is another determining factor that many often overlook. Before you spend large on your sun protector factor, you should know whether it would suit your skin or not. If you are a dry skin person and if you choose a mattifying sunscreen, then it would only cause you troubles. Your skin would dry out no matter how many layers of moisturizer you put on. So, it is important to determine your skin type. Here is the thumb rule to determine the type of sunscreen you need as per your skin.
Normal Skin: Not too drying nor too moisturizing
Oily Skin: Light weight mattifying Sunscreen that also hydrates
Dry Skin: An oil-based suncreen that also moisturizes your skin
Sensitive and Combination Skin: Look for sunscreens which are free from dyes, chemicals, parabens, and also fragrance.
Know how to choose the best face wash as per your skin type, This is an ultimate beauty 101 that is going to blow your mind.Read More
Know about the UV Spectrum Too
UV or Ultraviolet rays cannot be seen with bare eyes. Sunscreens are formulated to protect us from the harmful effects of these rays. UVA and UVB, these two are the categories of these rays. UVA has a longer wavelength and thus, it is responsible for premature ageing. Whereas, UVB is the reason behind sunburn and skin damage.
Generally, SPFs are a measure of UVB protection, but UVA is important too. So, choose a sunscreen or sunblock cream that provides Broad-Specturm proctection from both UVA and UVB.
Look Up Ingredients: Choose Your Sunscreen Wisely
The world of cosmetic components is quite a huge one. And, decoding the formulation of even the simplest sunscreen can be quite a tough task. So, I would not ask you to analyze these even. But, I think knowing a few would not cost you anything.
Oxybenzone, Octonoxate, PABA, Homosalate, Octocrylene, Octisalate, etc. are known as hormone disruptors. So, if ingredients matter to you, then it is better to avoid sunscreens containing these.
My suggestion would be, always stick to the formulation containing Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide. In the following section, I would list down 8 sunscreens which are almost the best from the rest. Well! Some of these sunscreens might have Parabens or other components. I would leave the choice to you. Choose what you feel is best. Let’s talk about the best sunscreen in India at the time of writing.
List of 8 Best Sunscreen in India
1. Lotus Herbals Safe Sun UV Screen Matte Gel Pa+++ SPF – 50
Price: INR 440 for 100g
Buy From: Nykaa
This is one of the most-bought sunscreens of all. Majority of people love it. Because of the matte finish it provides, it is ideal for oily skin people. Here are some of the pros and cons of this sunscreen.
- Suitable for both oily and sensitive skin people
- Mostly safe components
- A little amount of product goes long
- Parabens are present
2. LOreal Paris UV Perfect Super Aqua Essence SPF 50+ PA++++
Price: INR 515
Buy From: Nykaa
I must say that it is one of the best skincare products from the house of Loreal Paris. The sunscreen comes with an SPF of 50+ which is brilliant. Here is a list of pros and cons so that you can make a choice.
- Does not irritate the skin
- Provides a good protection from the harmful rays
- Oil free formulation; thus, skin does not feel messy
- Can be used as a good makeup base
- Alcohol is present; thus, sensitive skin people should not use it
- A bit pricey in comparison to the quantity
3. NIVEA Sun – Protect & Refresh Invisible Cooling Spray SPF 50
Price: INR 749 for 200ml
Buy From: Nykaa
If you are someone who is always in a hurry and keep forgetting her sunscreen, then this is simply the one you need. Just spray this sunscreen all over your face and you are good to go. It is indeed the best sunscreen in India among many. Check out the good and bad things about this product.
- Water resistant light-weight formula
- Makes skin feel refreshing especially during the scorching heat of summer
- Transparent formula; leaves no residue or marks
- Provides broad spectrum protection
- Presence of Homosalate as UV protector
- Presence of parfum
4. Green Tea Day-Light Sunscreen Gel SPF35 | PA+++
Price: INR 575 for 50ml
Buy From: Plum Goodness
If you have oily and acne-prone skin, then this sunscreen gel would suit you the best. The gel-based sunscreen does not leave any white cast, which is indeed an advantage. Here goes a list of some more advantages and disadvantages.
- Paraben-free formula
- Light-weight gel texture
- Niacinamide is present
- Harmful chemicals are not present here
- Not suitable for dry skin people
Price: INR 199 for 30ml
Buy From: Nykaa
This sunscreen is one of the best sellers from the house of Neutrogena. It is best suitable for oily and sensitive skin people.
But, as a dry skin person, I mix it with moisturizer or serum. A number of reasons make this sunscreen the best sunscreen in India and also the best sunscreen recommended by dermatologists. Here goes a list of good and bad points about this sunblock cream.
- It does not leave any white cast on the skin
- Paraben free waterproof formula
- Helioplex is a patent ingredient of Neutrogena which is a safe sunblock
- PABA free formula
- Gives good coverage as it is a broad spectrum sunblock cream.
- Homosalate is present
6. Pond’s Sun Protect Non-Oily Sunscreen SPF 50
Price: INR 169 for 35g
Buy From: Nykaa
Pond’s is indeed one of the most popular names in India. The sunscreen is 100% waterproof which is rare at this price tag. Know what the other reasons are that make it one of the best sunscreens in India.
- Zinc oxide and Titanium Oxide based sunscreen
- Presence of Niacinamide
- Blends easily
- Oily skin people can easily skip moisturizer during summer
- Safe for acne prone and sensitive skin people
- Leaves a slight white cast on brownish skin tone
- Synthetic fragrance
7. Innisfree Daily UV Protection Cream Mild SPF 35 PA++
Price: INR 630 for 35g
Buy From: Nykaa
Now, when Korean products are being launched in India back to back, it is time to enlist a few Korean sunscreens too. Innisfree is indeed one of the most popular Korean brands here. Check out what makes this sunblock cream the best sunscreen in India.
- Safe UV protectors
- Budget friendly
- Hydrates skin and makes skin glowy
- Does not leave white cast to the skin
- Works best for the dry skin people
- Presence of fragrance
- SPF is not high
This winter, let your skin talk. Hydrate, nourish, and moisturize your skin with our compilation of the best body lotion for Indian winter.Read More
8. Forest Essentials SUN FLUID Tender Coconut Water with Turmeric & Basil Leaf SPF 50|PA++
Price: INR 975 for 50ml
Buy From: Nykaa
Well! This is indeed the best sunscreen in India. It has been recently launched by Forest Essentials. A number of people have praised this product and the number is only increasing. Check out what makes it the best in the market free.
- Perfect for dry skin and combination skin people
- Ideal sunscreen for cold seasons
- Goodness of herbs; safe list of components
- No need to use moistirizer separately
- Skin does not break out
- High price tag
- Oily skin people would find it greasy
All of these sunscreens are the best ever in the market. As you might have noticed that I have not included Biotique sunscreens here.
Well! I simply do not recommend Biotique ever.
To know about the reasons, you can check out this link HERE. In fact, not only Biotique, I do not recommend any brand that does not disclose its full ingredient list.
It is mandatory for everyone to know what’s inside before they purchase a cosmetic. And, before we wrap up this article, here are a few things that you can do to protect your skin from further damage even after applying sunscreen.
It’s been long since I updated the article last. And, in between, I have across a number of products. It would be a crime if I do not tell you about one such product.
Just a month back, I started using Re’equil Ultra Matte Dry Touch Sunscreen Gel with SPF 50 PA++++. The formulation is brilliant. Check out my full review here along with a detailed analysis of the safety of the ingredients.
- Apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes before you leave
- Reapply sunscreen after 2-3 hours
- If you are exposed to the Sun for long hours, it is better to spray a facial mist at regular intervals so that skin remains hydrated.
- Once you return, make sure to wash off the exposed areas and apply moisturizer.
So, that’s all for today. Take care lovelies! Subscribe to Cosmetics Arena if you find it helpful. We will meet soon with another interesting article.