Natural Ways to Straighten Hair at Home
No matter, how many hairstyles and hair cuts wrap the market, one thing would never lose its charm and that is straight hair. Straightened hair looks not only stylish but also gorgeous.
Any hairstyling can be done with straightened hair. In fact, I can still remember that during our school days, we used to call those girls blessed who used to flaunt their naturally straightened hair.
Frizzy hair is enough to give you a bad hair day experience. And thus, more and more people are straightening their hair at salons.
Question is, apart from the style statement, how beneficial chemical hair straightening is? Some may answer it’s not rocket science, but if you are here you understand his topic is worth the research and it can even be a reason to buy a dissertation in the UK.
Of course, you may not need to go this far, read our article first!
The Dark Sides of Hair Straightening and Smoothening with Chemicals
Well! No matter how expensive the treatment or the salon is, treating those hair strands with chemicals can lead to serious damage to both the hair follicles and also the hair roots.
The degree of damage can be irreparable. But, the good news is that there are brands like Kintsugi that has formulated a range of hair stregthening products. Check out this Kintsugi Hair Review to know more about the amazing range.
Now, let’s check out how the hair straightening chemicals damage the hair.
1. Severe Dryness
This is one such thing that almost everyone experiences. Hair straigthening is usually done with loads of chemicals.
All those chemicals strip of the natural oils from the hair strands. And eventually, hair losses its natural sheen and shine. As a result, all left out is a bunch of dull and lifeless strands of hair.
2. Hair Fall
Often people opt for hair straightening or smoothening to reduce hair fall. But, many do not realize how harmful the result is going to be. Generally during the treatment, a number of chemicals and high heat is applied. All these affect the texture of the hair.
And the hair strands become more prone to breakage. Eventually, split ends occur and the brittle hair strands result in severe hair fall.
Well! This is another common after-effect that many women experience. Itchy scalp, red-eye, rashes all over the body, swollen face, and many other symptoms might occur right after you are done with your salon visit.
Often, the symptoms might occur after a few days of receiving the treatment. When such things happen, you should do only one thing and that is getting a doctor appointment.
4. Not a Permanent Solution
Often people think that getting a smoothened or straightened hair means getting a permanent solution. But, it is definitely not a solution. All the new hair strands would retain the properties of the previous hair strands.
Moreover, getting straightened hair means portraying the same hairstyle every day. Isn’t it boring? We all want to style our hair every other day in a different way. But, options definitely die once you get straightened hair.
Well! You get all these side-effects for free when going for hair straightening. Isn’t it funny that you pay a hefty sum for all these things? So, the question remains, what else can be done?
Of course! There are ways. In the following section, I am going to talk about 11 natural ways to straighten hair at home.
All these ingredients can be easily found in your kitchen. In the later section, I am going to talk about a few simple DIY recipes as well. So, let’s talk about the secrets of hair straightening and hair smoothening.
11 Natural Ways to Straighten Hair at Home: Unbelievably Easy Ways
Believe it or not! There are components naturally found that can make the hair strands appear straight.
Well! These methods or tricks are definitely not going to straighten your hair permanently. But, occasionally you can try out these tricks for sure. Get ready to style up!
1. Coconut Milk
Well! This is indeed one of the oldest natural ways to straighten hair at home. The first time when I used this ingredient on my hair, I was surprised to see the result. Not only my hair strands look straightened but also appeared full of lustre.
DIY Remedy Using Coconut Milk to Straighten Hair
- Take 4 tablespoons of Coconut Milk, one tablespoon of honey, and two tablespoons of Lemon.
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Apply the mask on every hair strand
- Leave it at least for 1 hour
- Wash off with a mild sulfate free shampoo.
- Voila! You hair is straight and full of life now. This remedy also helps to make hair smooth.
Check out the list of best affordable sulfate (sulphate) free shampoos in India. The list is updated. You must try these shampoos in 2020.Read More
Not only coconut milk, milk is also an effective way to straighten hair naturally. Coconut milk is not available always. In those cases, milk is indeed an excellent option. Here is one diy remedy that always works.
DIY Remedy Using Milk to Straighten and Smoothen Hair
Milk+Banana+Aloe Vera Gel
- Take 4 tablespoons of Milk, two banana, and one tablespoon of Aloe Vera Gel
- Make sure to use pure aloe vera gel
- Before you put the banana, make sure it is peeled and smashed properly
- Put all the ingredients together and prepare a mask
- Apply the mask all over your hair and scalp
- Leave the mask on for at least 1 hour; you can also leave the mask overnight
- Once it is completely dried up, wash it off with a mild shampoo
- Welcome a hair full of lustre!
3. Egg White
Protein is all you need for your hair as it nothing but a bundle of keratin. I believe that the world’s best Keratin treatment is an egg white mask. Not only it helps to maintain the overall health of your hair but also straightens hair. Are you excited to get an amazing result? Here goes a DIY mask that your hair needs.
DIY Remedy Using Egg White to Straighten and Smoothen Hair
- Take 2 egg whites, 4 TBSP milk, and 2 TBSP honey
- Mix all these ingredients together
- Apply the mask and keep that on for at least 40 minutes
- After that wash off your hair with a mild cleanser.
- The smell of egg white might make you feel unbearable often. To ward pff the smell, you can add a few drops of essential oils too like Lavender EO or Tea Tree EO or Rosemary EO.
- Trust me! An egg mask works like magic for hair
See! Isn’t it amazing that so many amazing potions can be made using just milk? From curd to butter, everything has its own charm and benefits too. Curd is known for its anti-dandruff benefits. But very few people know that this is an excellent potion for hair straightening and smoothening too. Check out this simple DIY. It is one of the best natural ways to straighten hair at home.
DIY Remedy Using Curd to Smoothen Hair
Curd+Honey+Aloe Vera Gel
- Take 3 TBSP curd, and 2 TBSP honey, and one TBSP aloe vera gel.
- Mix all these ingredients in a bowl
- Apply the mask and keep that on for at least 1 hour or best if it is kept overnight
- After that wash off your hair with a sulfate free shampoo or with your daily cleanser.
- Voila! Your smooth hair is ready to flaunt
5. Aloe Vera
Probably there are very few plants like Aloe Vera that is beneficial from every aspect. The proteolytic enzymes in Aloe Vera juice help in rejuvenating the dead skin cells on the scalp. Pure aloe vera juice is an excellent hair conditioner too. Here goes a DIY that is one of the best natural ways to straighten and smoothen hair.
DIY Remedy Using Aloe Vera to Straighten Hair
Aloe Vera+Coconut Milk+Honey
- Take 3 TBSP aloe vera juice, and 2 TBSP Coconut Milk, and one TBSP honey
- Mix all these ingredients in a bowl
- Make sure the mask is thick
- Apply the mask and keep it overnight
- You can use a hair wrapper to ensure the mask is properly absorbed by the scalp and the hair strands
- In the morning, clean your hair with a mild shampoo
- Get ready to flaunt your smooth and naturally straightened hair
6. Rice Flour
Well! Believe it or not, rice flour is an excellent natural ingredient to make hair more manageable. It is one of the best natural ways to straighten hair.
Basically rice flour helps to decrease the surface tension of hair and thus, makes hair more elastic. Check out the following recipe. It is a pretty simple DIY and is effective at the same time.
DIY Remedy Using Rice Flour to Straighten Hair
- Take 3 TBSP rice flour, and 2 TBSP Milk, and one TBSP honey
- Mix all these ingredients in such a way that the mask feels like batter
- Part your hair in several parts
- And, apply this protein enriched mask throughout your scalp
- Keep your hair that way at least for 2 hours
- Wash off with your regular shampoo
- All these ingredients make your hair frizz free and shiny. And, hair looks silky smooth and straight.
It would be a crime if I do not mention banana while talking about hair smoothening and straightening treatment in natural ways. It is one of the best natural ways to straighten hair at home. Banana is known for its moisturizing capability.
It makes hair softer, more manageable, and also controls dandruff to some extent. Are you ready to give your hair a banana smoothie? Check this recipe out.
DIY Remedy Using Banana to Smoothen Hair
- Take 2 peeled and smashed banana, and 2 TBSP Milk. You can add honey or aloe vera gel, but that is entirely optional
- Mix all these ingredients in a bowl
- Apply this banana milk protein enriched smoothie on your clean scalp
- Let it show its magic at least for 2 hours
- And finally, wash it off with a cleanser
- Trust me! This is one of my favourite hair masks. It works every time.
8. Olive Oil
In recent times, olive oil has become pretty famous for its versatility. From our cosmetic shelves to the pantry, olive oil is everywhere. This oil is extremely moisturizing. It treats several hair problems like dandruff, dry or burnt ends, frizzy hair, etc. All you need to do is to heat the oil and massage onto your scalp. But if you are looking for a better result, then here goes a recipe for natural hair straightening and smoothening treatment using olive oil.
Natural Ways to Straighten Hair at Home using Olive Oil: A DIY Recipe
Olive Oil+Pure Aloe Vera Gel
- Take 2 TBSP Pure Aloe Vera Gel or pulp and 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- At first heat the oil for 3 minutes and the add the aloe vera gel
- Mix properly; the texture would be much like gel
- Apply throughout your roots and scalp
- Well! You can also add curd instead of aloe vera gel here for an effective result
- Keep the mask on for at least 1 hour
- Both of these components make hair frizz free and smooth. Hair looks shiny and straight.
- honestly! The shine of your hair would simply blow your mind
Skin rashes often give us headaches. Good news is that those can be healed! Check out how to get rid of skin rash using easy home remedies.Read More
Honey is one of the best gifts straight from the lap of mother nature. It is full of antioxidants. It is one of the best humectants that help to seal the moisture on the scalp and also on the hair strands. The secret behind its hair straightening property is that honey has moisture-retaining property.
And thus, it conditions hair and makes hair smooth & straight. Honey has already been shown in some of the above-mentioned recipes, but this is simply the best.
Natural Ways to Straighten Hair at Home using Honey: A DIY Recipe
Honey+Almond Oil+Aloe Vera Gel
- Take 2 TBSP Honey, 2 TBSP Almond Oil, and 1 TBSP Aloe Vera Gel
- Mix everything in a bowl
- Apply throughout the scalp and on every hair strand from root to tip
- Make sure to keep the mask on for more than 1 hour
- Wash off with cold water and a mild hair cleanser
- Get ready to welcome frizz free, smooth, and shiny hair
In all of these DIY hair masks, you can also add 3-4 drops of Lavender Essential Oil or Rosemary Essential Oil. The added benefits of Essential Oils are undeniable. So, just go for those. Make sure that your EO is free from any kind of adulteration and has been extracted by steam distilled method only.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
There was a time when I used to rinse my hair with a concoction of green tea and apple cider vinegar. Later on, I switched to conditioners to avoid all those fusses.
Well! Trust me, ACV is one of the best hair conditioners. It is full of minerals and vitamins like B & C. It has anti-inflammatory property.
And thus, apart from a good hair conditioner, it also acts as an excellent anti-dandruff ingredient. Here goes an excellent DIY using ACV to straighten and smoothen hair naturally at home.
DIY Remedy Using Apple Cider Vinegar to Straighten Hair
- Take 1 TBSP ACV, 4 TBSP Milk, and 1 TBSP water.
- Mix all these ingredients to prepare a liquid concoction
- Take this potion into a sprayer bottle and spray all over your hair
- keep this mask on for at least 1 hours
- Wash off afterwards
- This mask is pretty effective in making your mane gorgeous, shiny, smooth, and also straight.
Oatmeal is one of the best breakfast cereals for sure. But very few people know that this amazing cereal can be used for skincare and haircare as well.
Oatmeal is quite moisturizing and full of Vitamin B. Our hair loves Vitamin B for its deep penetration power. An oatmeal smoothie is enough to make your hair soft, smooth, shiny, and straight.
Just try the following recipe once. I am pretty sure that your hair is going to love this one.
DIY Remedy Using Oatmeal to Straighten and Smoothen Hair
- Take 4 TBSP oatmeal, 3 TBSP Milk, and 1 TBSP honey.
- Well! All you have to do is to make a smoothie for your hair
- Apply this moisturizing mask throughout your scalp and hair strands
- Wash off after 2 hours
- If you have dull and damaged hair, then you would notice brilliant result since the first application itself. Are you ready?
On days when you are running short of your daily scrub, simply take one tbsp oats. Mix that with simple water or rose water. And rub the mask lightly all over your face and neck. Honestly, the result would blow your mind.
Are you looking for organic and chemical free hair oils for hair growth? Find out a compilation of the best chemical free hair oils in India.Read More
All these hair masks are effective and pretty simple to prepare. It is important to remember that the result would not be long-lasting.
The straightening effect might vanish just within a day. But, do not feel dubious. All these methods are way better than treating your hair with all those harmful chemicals.
Let your hair live in the most natural way possible. Give your mane the best food.
If you are treating your dull and damaged hair with these components, then do not expect a result from the first day of application. Natural treatments are mostly time-consuming ones. But the methods work all the time.
Just remember, you must stick to nature as much as possible. There is hardly anything that can match the potency and efficacy of natural ingredients.
So, that is all for today. I hope you like reading the article. Subscribe to Cosmetics Arena for more such interesting articles. Take care and keep celebrating life.